AIMEE_BEE_BLOG_HEADER1
home (4) about me (7) down syndrome (6) contact

One week, Three days

At 6:10 am on Labor Day (September 1st) I will be aboard a plane headed toward Miami, FL. In Miami I will have a small layover before I get aboard another plane that will fly for 3 hours over the Gulf of Mexico and Central America. I will arrive in Tegucigalpa, Honduras at 12:35pm. There I will be greeted by an amazing Honduran family that will host me for 3 months. From Tegucigalpa we will drive 3 hours up mountainsides and dirt roads to eventually arrive in Choluteca, Honduras. My home for the next few months.

I leave Columbia, Missouri in one week. I will spend a few days in Rolla and then my last weekend in St. Charles, visiting with family and spending time with Chris.

Lately, my friends have been asking me "How are you doing?" Since buying my ticket Monday, I have felt dumbfounded by that question, because I really don't know. My emotions are everywhere. I am excited to leave the US, yet I am terrified. I can't wait to be challenged by God and speak Spanish, but I know I will be tired of speaking Spanish. My heart is so happy to be able to see the kids at the orphanage and the clinic; yet, the reality of seeing them daily will be real, hard, burdening.

I know that I will not return to the US the same person as I am today. I will be forever changed. This thought is overwhelming and breathtaking. I pray that God would mess me up. That he would show me the reality of the world, the world outside comfortability, Starbucks, and clean tap water. I pray that He would use me in the way He desires, that His will would become my own, and that I would be able to do work for His glory and not my own. For in reality, I am just this girl that has been messed with by His love and has been given the overwhelming desire to love others, especially the ones that are left behind. My life is in His hands, however He decides to use it.

"This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down His life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and see his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." 1 John 3:16-18

2 comments:

breezylucia said...

Dang girl, I can´t imagine what you´re going through....oh wait, yea i can. haha. But i still wish I was back home with you to go through this weird time before leaving. im praying for you and im so excited to see how this changes you. te quiero mi hermana.

Mags said...

i love this "i pray that god would mess me up" we should all pray that prayer. it is scary yet exciting knowing god will and do crazy, amazing things in our hearts as we step out in faith where he leads us. love you so much!

ppl have been saying this to me a lot lately and everytime it is so encouraging:

"thank you for answering God's call"

Blogging tips